Why does my home need to have an electrical health check?
There are some obvious symptoms that appear to warn us of problems in the electrical wiring in our homes. If you observe any of these warning signs in your home, don’t ignore the problem - lives could be at risk.
Electrical fault warning signs
Do you get ‘tingles’ from taps (minor electric shock)?
If you receive a ‘tingle’ from touching the taps or metal fittings in your home, there’s a problem that requires urgent attention. Report it immediately to Aurora on 13 2004.
Do you get shocks from appliances and power tools?
Never ignore a shock or a tingle from an appliance or power tool. Disconnect the appliance and report it immediately to Aurora on 13 2004.
Does the brightness of your lights vary?
If the output of your lights is inconsistent this could indicate a problem. This shouldn’t be confused with short ‘dips’ associated with the start-up of motors such as refrigerators or heat pumps. If your lights are consistently low, contact Aurora on 13 2004.
Do you have discoloured, melted or cracked fittings?
Damage to power points or light fittings can indicate overheating of the household wiring system. Don’t take any risks; call your licensed electrical contractor.
Is there excessive noise or ‘sparking’ at light switches or power points?
While it is normal for switches or power points to emit a tiny flash when you turn them off, be on the lookout for loud noises or sparking and call your licensed electrical contractor to investigate.
Do your fuses or circuit breakers blow continually?
If you are constantly replacing the same fuse or circuit breaker, there could be a serious problem in your wiring system. Have it checked immediately by your licensed electrical contractor.
Do your appliances seem less efficient?
If your oven, toaster, kettle or other appliances seem to take longer to work than usual, it could signal a problem. This situation needs to be investigated by a licensed electrical contractor.
Have you checked your earth wire?
Earthing wires conduct any stray electrical current safely to the ground. You should have your earth checked by your electrical contractor if:
- You are unsure of the condition of the earth wire; especially in older houses. (See photo on front cover for wire in good condition.)
- You have had work done that may have disturbed your earth, especially plumbing.
- You notice a broken or damaged bare copper wire or green insulated wire around your house.
Call Aurora immediately on 13 2004 if:
- You get tingles off taps or metal fittings.
- Appliances or power tools give electric shocks.
- Lights vary in brightness.
When to call your electrical contractor without delay
- Power points or light fittings are damaged.
- There is excessive noise or sparking from switches or power points.
- Fuses constantly blow or circuit breakers trip.
- Electrical appliances are working slowly.
- Earth wires are disturbed